The Museum of Gaming History is growing and we need your support. The MoGH came to life in 2014 with the showing of exhibits at the El Cortez Hotel and the Mob Museum. We are working on showing several new exhibits in the coming year. The MoGH needs your support to fund these projects. We seek to grow the hobby by expanding interest in Gaming History. Please visit the MoGH Donation page.
Museum of Gaming History
An Educational Project of The Casino Chip & Gaming Token Collectors Club, Inc.
An IRS approved 501 (c) (3) Tax Exempt Not-For-Profit Corporation
Dedicated to the preservation and education of Gaming History
Gaming History - Week of May 31, 2020
 
Month of June Events
1931 - Reno, NV.   The Palace Cigar Store, at 46 East Commercial Row, was licensed for one craps game. In January of 1934, the property was licensed as the Palace Bar; in 1935 the Palace Club was licensed to operate a full casino. On September 28, 1979, it was announced that Harrah's had bought the Palace Club. It was closed and demolished soon after that. .
Palace Club circa 1951

1931 - Reno, NV.   The Washoe Cafe, 32-34 East Commercial Row, was licensed for craps and 21. It was one of the many small clubs and bars that operated in Reno during the early days of legal gaming. The club had doors that opened on Douglas Alley, as well as Commercial Row. The license ended in December of 1931.

1936 - Reno, NV.   The Inferno Club opened at 226 1/2 North Center Street, at the former location of the Comstock Club and next to the Greyhound Bus Terminal. The Inferno was decorated with flames and red devils to resemble Dante's Inferno. In August of 1945 the Inferno moved to 124 East Commercial Row, due to the expansion of the Greyhound Bus Terminal. The Inferno closed just a few months after moving to the new location, and was soon replaced by the Depot Bar.

1945 - Reno, NV.   Henry's Club opened at 211 North Virginia Street. It was licensed for one bingo game, for less than four months. Later, the Mapes Money Tree was located on the site.

 
June 1st
2020 - Monday (TODAY)

1946 - Reno, NV.   The Roaring Camp opened at 128 Lake Street; also known as Stagg's Roaring Camp. The casino featured a collection of Western memorabilia, including over 2000 guns and barstools made from authentic saddles. On February 19, 1949, it was announced that the Roaring Camp had been sold to "Pappy" Smith, of Harold's Club. On April 2, 1949, Harold's Club reopened the Roaring Camp and operated it for less than a year. The memorabilia was moved to Harold's Club, to be displayed in a section of the club that they called the Roaring Camp Room .
Harold's Roaring Camp at 234 Virginia Street

1949 - Reno, NV.   Miner's Tavern, a bar with gambling, opened at 128 East Commercial Row. The Tavern offered a variety of games over the years, run by a variety of people. The Miner's Tavern closed in 1958.

1981 - Las Vegas, NV.   Silver Saddle Casino opens at 3729 Las Vegas Blvd. South, on the Las Vegas Strip, closes within two years.

1988 - Las Vegas, NV.   Bourbon Street opens at 120 East Flamingo Road, Las Vegas.

 
June 2nd
2020 - Tuesday

1966 - Las Vegas Nevada.   Construction began on November 16, 1964, opening in 1966. The casino is named after the builder Ben Goffstein's four daughters, Faith, Hope, Benita, and Michele. It originally contained only 120 rooms and a 20,000 sq ft casino.From 1972 to 2003 the hotel/casino was owned by Elsinore Corporation. Elsinore was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Hyatt Corporation from 1972 to 1979, when it then became an independent company. At various times Elsinore also had interests in the Atlantis Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey, the Hyatt Lake Tahoe, and several Native American casinos. In 1995, Elsinore filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the investment firm Morgens, Waterfall, Vintiadis & Company obtained 99 percent ownership of the company.In 1976 the casino expanded to 33,000 sq ft and changed decor to be warmer. Today the casino occupies the entire block bordered by Fremont St, Casino Center, Third Street, and Carson Avenue. .
Link to: Four Queens Website   Link to: Four Queens Wikipedia
$5 Chip

1974 - Las Vegas Nevada.   Milton Prell suffered a stroke. Prell needed to use a wheelchair much of the time, but continued to walk with two canes through the casino to his office each morning. The Aladdin's profits were dropping and eventually he couldn't keep up and the Aladdin was sold. He died in 1974.
Link to: Milton Prell Wikipedia
Milton Prell

2015 - Chittenango, New York.   Yellow Brick Road Casino opens.
Link to: Yellow Brick Road Website

 
June 4th
2020 - Thursday

1975 - Las Vegas, NV.   Golden Goose Casino opens at 20 Fremont Street, downtown Las Vegas.
Glass from a slot machine in the Golden Goose Casino

 
June 5th
2020 - Friday

1993 - Biloxi, MS.   Casino Magic! opens.

 
June 6th
2020 - Saturday

1931 - Reno, NV.   L&A Club opened at 6 East Commercial Row, closed after about 18 months.

1931 - Reno, NV.   The Lucky Club opened at 125 East Second Street, where it operated until 1936. In February of 1936 the Lucky Club moved to 121 East Second Street. In 1942 a blackjack dealer was convicted of allowing a player to win illegally, and was sentenced to six months in jail. In November, 1944, an investigation determined that a craps dealer had switched dice during a game. When customers accused the dealer of cheating, he had pulled a gun and threatened to shoot them. On November 6, 1944, the club's license was revoked. It was stated that the licensees, Lewis and Elsie Cates were never to be licensed again.

1945 - Las Vegas, NV.   Players Club Casino opens at 3145 Las Vegas Blvd., on the Las Vegas Strip. Later it would be the site of the Desert Inn.

1951 - Las Vegas, NV.   Al Cooper's Polynesia opens on Highway 91 S., the Las Vegas Strip.

1993 - Reno, NV.   Raymond A. Smith passed away in a Reno care center.

1994 - Tunica, MS.   Fitzgerald's opens .

1995 - New Orleans, LA.   River City Grand Palais casino closes.

2012 - Hanover Maryland.   Maryland Live! Casino is a casino and entertainment complex in Hanover, Maryland, adjacent to Arundel Mills Mall, owned and operated by The Cordish Company. The casino opened its first phase on June 6, 2012, which included 3,200 slot machines and electronic table games. The second phase opened in September 2012, bringing the total to 4,750 machines. Because the casino was built on what was formerly mall parking lots, Maryland Live! features a six-story parking garage that is free to visitors of both the mall and the casino.Starting 8:00am on December 27, 2012, Maryland Live! transitioned to being open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. On April 11, 2013, Maryland Live! debuted 122 table games including Blackjack, Roulette, Craps, 3-Card Poker, 4-Card Poker, Mini-Baccarat, and more, to complement its electronic games and slot machines. A 52 table poker room opened on August 28, 2013.Currently Maryland Live! Casino is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. .
Link to: Maryland Live Website   Link to: Maryland Live! Wikipedia


<=== Previous Week
Month Day  
Next Week ===>
© Copyright 2009-2020. All rights reserved. Contact: TheMOGH